Thursday, June 26, 2008

Things That Bug Me At The Gym #2

Way back when I first started my marathon training I wrote a post about things that bug me at the gym. Since I was in the gym several days a week, I intended to write about a number of observations that really irritate me at the gym...like having 3 or 4 treadmills out of order. I don't think I ever got past that first post, but now that I'm back in the gym more regularly (training for the Peachtree and considering another marathon run), I am constantly reminded about the little things in the gym that really bug me. So here is #2.

Treadmill racers. I am, by no means, a super fast runner. I'm not sure I'd even consider myself a regular fast runner. But I do try to do a couple of fast workouts each week at the gym in order to build leg strength and speed. It is inevitable that whenever I am doing one of these speedwork sessions, some dude will hop on the treadmill next to me, glance over at my display and then immediately set his treadmill at 0.1 or 0.2 MPH fast than mine.

And of course, as I increase my speed throughout the workout I can see him out of the corner of my eye looking over at my display and increasing his speed about 30 seconds later. Really? Am I supposed to be impressed, or intimidated? As the kids say...whatever. Just do your own thing. I'm not racing you on the treadmill.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! THAT is HILARIOUS!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! You are racing...you nerd! Who is the runner beside you? Joy?? :)

Chris said...

dude, thanks for the dentist recommendation. so much better than our ATL dentist. i thought for a while i was going to become an anti-dentite.