Friday, November 9, 2007

Things That Bug Me At The Gym - #1

Because I like to do most of my running in the morning, and because we don't have any sidewalks in our neighborhood or the surrounding surface streets, I do my running on the treadmills at LA Fitness.

I've had a membership with LA Fitness for about 10 years...started when they were still Australian Body Works in Atlanta. Of course, my use of the gym has been cyclical for most of that time. But over 10 years, I've observed a lot of different "characters" at the gym. Some are entertaining and some are annoying. And now that I've got this blog outlet I'm going to share some of the things that really bug me at the gym.

Today's installment comes courtesy of the character I like to call the Clydesdale. I see a lot of these at the gym since I spend most of my time on the treadmill. I pointed one out to Joy, in fact, last night. The Clydesdale is that person on the treadmill who runs completely flat-footed, so over the din of the gym's music, the sound of the treadmill and even my iPod earbuds comes this very loud, very annoying THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, THUMP as his or her feet pound the treadmill track. It is especially annoying when they try to run really fast. That's all. Don't be a Clydesdale.

No comments: