Friday, August 22, 2008

Coke vs. Pop vs. Soda

Typical conversation in the south:

You: Hey...wanna Coke?
Me: Yeah, sure.
You: What kind?
Me: Oh, a Diet Dr. Pepper would be good.

And absolutely no one around here would find anything strange about that conversation at all. I mean, "Coke" is the same as Kleenex, Xerox, Band-Aid and other brand names that have become synonymous with the overall product genre. Not so much in other areas of the country where people use strange words like "pop" and "soda."

Click on the map for the full size version, or click HERE for an interactive map where you can see the survey results by clicking on any state.

Proud drinker of "Coke" (which includes Diet Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, Mr. Pibb...)

2 comments:

Mary Droddy said...

Hey Scott and Joy,
Do you see that very small box of blue on the northern border of Arkansas where we use the phrase "pop" for carbonated beverages? Yeah, that's my home town. We miss seeing you guys and hope we can plan a weekend together this fall. Have a great day,
Mary

Medcalf Crew said...

I too am from a "pop" state, WV. Brad quickly broke me of that habit but I can't bring myself to call it all "Coke" when it's not. I don't drink the stuff anyway so I guess it's not too big a deal:)

Carri