Tuesday, October 23, 2007

If the space shuttle launches from Florida, and nobody reports on it, did it really happen?

Did you know that earlier this morning the space shuttle Discovery launched from Kennedy Space Center in Florida?

When I was a kid, space shuttle launches were a BIG deal. School would stop and we would watch the launch in our classrooms on those mobile TV carts. We would look forward to watching the launch for days, and the media covered it like it was the most important event in history. I was in sixth grade when the Challenger launched and exploded. I remember it like it was yesterday.

These days, the space shuttle launches and it barely warrants a mention on the front page of major news websites. You probably won't see it on the 6 o'clock news this evening. I still think its pretty cool to see the shuttle lifting off into space. I guess, though, that we've seen it so many times before that despite the inherent challenges and dangers involved, we just don't appreciate it like we used to. What do you think?

2 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks for letting me know! I didn't know about the shuttle this morning. Good thing I read our blog.

Anonymous said...

Scott, you are totally right. I think about this a lot! (Wes)